Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Superstitions

One of the ideas I address in my mixed media class, is the idea of re-purposing older art work into a new work. In this piece, I used a wood block print made in my printing class in college 23 years ago. I liked it but it was never quite right. Now I love it. 

I also gave my students information on how to print on fabric. The square to the right of the wood block print is a linen handkerchief printed with some antique text about "Superstitions in Common Use." The list states important pieces of information such as "looking into a window brings bad luck, while entering a church with the right foot brings good." Classic! Listening to your critics in college, bad luck. Holding onto an idea until its ready to be reborn, good. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment